My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Father, Big ole perv, dork, geek. Hopeless romantic....

NSFW Favorites

AlexSuze.com
Amorous Rocker
Aunt Jackie
Down The Rabbithole
Here there be Dragons
Jay the Cynical Bastard
Agrah's Page
Pretty Peanut
Semi-Celibate Erotica
Sexy Duet
Stealth Bombshell
Tumbleweedwandering
Violet Blue
Edinburgh Erotica

    More Favorite Reads

    Other Favorite Reads

    Prior Posts

    Older posts

    Sunday, August 20, 2006

    On fixing my son's PC

    K, so the manchilds pc dies about a month ago, and been tinkering it. It's a home built, so no recovery disk perse, I try the best defaults I know....half assed. It boots, everything spins up, but no desktop....windows pukes to dos mode or at best a safe mode screen........what could it be I ponder

    I reinstall windows over windows in an effort to not loose all.....twice, hoping to avoid the evil "format and start from scratch" thing. I do this twice...same result..that smiley "windows initialization error" black screen. What could it be, a bad memory stick? I ponder some more............

    Finally, I consign myself to the long drawn out process of formatting, fresh install, but not from his room. I need it on my bench this move, it will be a long tedious search for obscure drivers.

    Wired to the KVM, I boot from a floppy and just before I invoke "fdisk", I ponder again, and decide one last run at safe mode. If nothing else, I'll get a list of hardware to search the net for the next few hours, looking for drivers...yay..

    Easy enough, safe mode appears, video drivers first, as I grab pen and paper..WTF????? Hrrrrrmmmmmmm I think I see the problem now.....

    Fours later, proper video driver installed, a virus sweep, 12 bullshit malignant programs removed, disk defragmentation, etc.......I inform the boy his PC now resembles a working PC.

    All happy he asks, "so dad...what was wrong?"

    My answer..slow and steady.. Next time you dload "anything" from a site that ends in .ru .cz, my foot in your ass!!! :) He paused, knowing he was busted, and nodded. I think we both learned a lesson.......lol

    Comments on "On fixing my son's PC"

     

    Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:27 PM) : 

    Been there... done that.... BUT... I now take an image snapshot...Acronis or Ghost... I then state in a low quiet voice... This image works again. You screw it up in the future, I put it back to how it looks right now. You will loose any changes you made. You do it AGAIN... And I DEEP FREEZE this sucker and you won't be able to download ANYTHING! Teenagers and computers.... grrrrrrrrrrrr

     

    Blogger Sexy Duet said ... (10:58 PM) : 

    I have absolutely no idea what any of that means but Im happy you got it working again.

    Ms SD

     

    Blogger ZigZagMan said ... (12:06 AM) : 

    yeah,,,it's abit techy inside........but long story short..............his pc works :)

     

    Blogger Suze said ... (5:58 AM) : 

    Glad to see you got it working again without any data loss.

     

    post a comment