My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Father, Big ole perv, dork, geek. Hopeless romantic....

NSFW Favorites

AlexSuze.com
Amorous Rocker
Aunt Jackie
Down The Rabbithole
Here there be Dragons
Jay the Cynical Bastard
Agrah's Page
Pretty Peanut
Semi-Celibate Erotica
Sexy Duet
Stealth Bombshell
Tumbleweedwandering
Violet Blue
Edinburgh Erotica

    More Favorite Reads

    Other Favorite Reads

    Prior Posts

    Older posts

    Wednesday, August 02, 2006

    Irish Luck............................

    Definition of Irish luck. The average man will step in dogshit, and say "Damn!! I just stepped in dogshit". An Irishman will step in dogshit and say "Damn!! I just stepped in dogshit..Lucky these aren't my good shoes!"

    Some of you may not know this, but Lovely wife and I of Irish lineage. We also happen to be a mix of all other manner of stuff....but Irish damnit!! :)

    It is a regret of mine that I never learned gaelic from my grandpa before he passed. I was just a kid and not interested, now I long for it. Sure I've learned a smattering, can say snappy things like hello and kiss my ass, but not conversational. I can almost kinda sorta read a little of it, depending on dialect, on a good day.

    Whats always facinated me is the literal translation vs the figurative translation of any given phrase gael to english, and how funny or odd or wise they pan out to be. I'm pretty sure this holds true other languages too, but hell, I'm into gael.......:)

    Just one example, and I'll find the actual Gaelic spelling of it, but by way of showing.

    Figuative translation..... "go to hell."
    Literal translation..."may you be eaten by the cat, and the cat be eaten by the devil!"

    I think it has more colour in the literal translation.........:)

    Comments on "Irish Luck............................"

     

    Blogger Suze said ... (2:36 PM) : 

    I love the literal translation. LMAO. I'm of Welsh stock but I can't speak the language at all.

     

    Blogger ZigZagMan said ... (6:22 PM) : 

    I'm Irish Welsh Scot.....thus obliged to beat myself up every day.....:)

     

    post a comment